Gamble reflects after announcing retirementThursday, December 18, 2014 7:30am
- JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) - University of Alaska president Pat Gamble says he loves coming to work every day. But at age 69, and with the university system in a position he feels comfortable with, Gamble says it's time to retire. UA announced Monday that Gamble will retire June 1, after five years. In an interview, Gamble said his proudest point in the job has been bringing the leaders of the three main universities together to work on issues across the system rather than having the universities compete for resources. Gamble plans to guide the university system through what is expected to be a tough budget year, with the state facing deficits. Gamble says the goal is for UA to get through the rough stretch without losing the gains it has made in recent years.
Juneau officials cut state funding request listThursday, December 18, 2014 7:15am
- JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) - Juneau officials are whittling down a list of state funding requests amid potential state budget deficits of more than $3 billion for both this year and next due to low oil prices. The finance committee for the local assembly agreed Wednesday to prioritize five projects out of an original list of 29. The new list includes a water treatment plant, well improvements, a communications tower update, a rebuild of the Douglas Harbor and additional snow-clearing machines that could handle narrow sidewalks. The Juneau Empire reports that assembly members agreed that airport and school officials would be consulted for their top priorities, which would be added to a list for future years. The city itself faces a $7.2-million deficit for 2016.
Hose failure blamed for gas that sickened soldiersThursday, December 18, 2014 7:00am
- FAIRBANKS, Alaska (AP) - Army investigators in Alaska have concluded that a corroded vent hose on a field stove led to a buildup of carbon monoxide that sickened 23 soldiers during a September exercise. Lt. Col. Alan Brown tells the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner that the toxic gas came from a gas-fueled oven used to heat trays of food in a kitchen tent. Investigators concluded the corroded hose wasn't properly connected and kept gas inside the tent. None of the soldiers in the incident Sept. 25 near Eielson Air Force Base suffered life-threatening injuries. Nineteen were treated and released. Four showed elevated carbon monoxide levels in their blood but recovered after hospital stays. The soldiers were part of the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division stationed at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson.